We’re not big pasta eaters in my house so spaghetti squash is the perfect substitute. I had the gastric sleeve surgery so I have a tiny baby stomach and pasta feels like I ate a brick. My mom and my sister are on some new fangled diet every other week…. so, spaghetti squash it is. I mean you’re not fooling anyone into thinking they’re sitting down to bowl of spaghetti by any means but I rather eat vegetables anyways. Yes, veggies over carbs, crazy right?
This is grandmas new favorite, if there’s any leftovers she makes sure to grab them and take them home before anyone else has a chance.
I decided to pair the squash with a bolognese sauce to add a little more substance and texture than just plain old marinara sauce. I make the sauce in a slow cooker which is super simple and saves a lot of time when I’m cooking 7 million things on Sunday morning.
So what makes this the “$300 Bolognese Sauce”? I mayyy have accidentally used a $300 bottle of wine to cook it….. Lets just say Big Mike (dad) wasn’t a happy camper when he walked through the kitchen. So just a disclaimer, I am not at fault if you happen to dip into your dads fancy schmancy wine collection to make this…
And I dont know who’s drinking this $300 stale grape juice but I’m much happier with my $11.99 Cupcake Prosecco.
The squash is super easy. Cut it in half, clean out seeds, drizzle with olive oil and bake on a sheet pan face down at 400 until fork tender (about 40 min). Scrape the inside with a fork to create the “spaghetti” and throw on your sauce. I added some mozzarella on top and threw it in the oven to melt.
So, thereya go. Spaghetti squash and what better be the best bolognese sauce to ever exist.
- 2 Spaghetti Squash
- Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 28oz cans crushed tomato
- 4 tbs tomato paste
- 3 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 tsp Worchestire sauce
- 3 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat a tbs of olive oil in a saucepan and sautée onions and garlic until tender. Add to slow cooker.
- Sauté ground beef in the same pan until browned. Break up into small pieces as it's cooking. Drain any extra oil in the pan before adding the beef to your slow cooker so it doesn't make your sauce greasy.
- Add wine and beef broth to your saucepan and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven 400F.
- Cut squash in half and clean out seeds. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and place cut side down in a baking sheet.
- Bake until fork tender, about 45 min.
- Use a fork to shred the squash. Top with bolognese sauce and shredded mozzarella. Bake until cheese is melted.