I don’t get to cook Thanksgiving because we go to my cousins house. I’m usually just responsible for the dessert so… I decided I’m cooking Thanksgiving before Thanksgiving. I’m not waiting around for the Pilgrims to tell me when it’s acceptable to cook a turkey. I’ve come up with 3 different “Lexi” Thanksgiving ideas and couldn’t decide on one so I’m cooking all 3.
First up. The Thanksgiving burger. It wouldn’t be a Lexi Thanksgiving without a burger monstrosity now would it? Mike has named this “The Fucken Turducken”. Between the name and the boozy cranberry sauce, this burger should probably come with a parental advisory warning. As should most of my recipes.. but anyways… moving on…
Instead of a boring old turkey patty, I kicked it up a few notches and went for the turducken. Why pick one poultry when you can have 3?.. Plus the duck fat keeps the burgers moist since turkey and chicken are so lean.
Can’t have Thanksgiving without all the sides so this burger is piled high with stuffing, crispy sweet potato chips, rich turkey gravy and bourbon cranberry sauce. I was back and forth between making a cornbread bun but I thought it would be a little too sweet so I scratched that idea.
Ok.. and sweet potato chips… whyyyyy are they so damn temperamental….
Oven for 15 min.. burnt.. oven for 10 min.. raw… oven for 11,12,13 min.. alll burnt… air fryer… burnt… I made about 5 batches of these things before I had enough for just 1 burger. Didn’t help that everytime I turned around Mike and Bria were eating the only good ones I had left.
These burgers are definitely Thanksgiving between 2 buns. Save yourself some time and just plop one of these on everyones plate and call it a day.
Mike would also like me to mention he put the duck through the meat grinder… Guess the burger making class and all the cooking shows I make him watch are getting to him.
Stay tuned for Thanksgiving part 2.
- 2lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground duck
- 1/2 ground chicken
- 2 tsp sage leaves, torn
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 14oz stuffing bread cubes (store bought or homemade)
- 5 tbs butter, unsalted
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 3.5 cups turkey stock
- 1 tsp chick bouillon
- 1 tbs dried onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 4 tbs butter
- 4 tbs flour
- 4 cups turkey stock
- 12oz fresh cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- Season each meat separately with salt and pepper. Add sage and thyme to turkey.
- Split each meat into 8 equal sections and roll into balls. You should have 8 small chicken meatballs, 8 medium duck meatballs, and 8 large turkey meatballs.
- Use your thumb to make a dent in the duck meatball and stuff it with the chicken meatball. Make a dent in the turkey meatball and stuff with the duck meatball. Roll to make sure everything is sealed and then smash into a burger patty. You will have 3 different layers of meat.
- Heat a cast iron skillet. Cook each burger thing 6-7 minutes on each side. These are really big burgers so I popped them in the oven another 5-6 minutes to finish cooking. They should reach and internal temp of 160. Let them rest for 10 min.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan. Saute onions and celery until soft.
- Add turkey stock and all spices and herbs. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 min.
- Add stuffing bread and stir until evenly combined. Add more warm stock if needed. The stuffing mix should be slightly moist but not wet.
- Spread in an even flat layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400F until browned and crispy.
- Use a large circle cutter to create stuffing patties.
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 min or until all the cranberries have popped and it resembles a chunky sticky jelly.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook until a blonde roux forms.
- Add turkey stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until desired consistency is reached.
- Toast burger buns. Add cranberry sauce, stuffing patty, turducken patty, gravy, sweet potato chips and top bun.