Every once in awhile we all grab that can of soup in the back of the shelf for a quick heat and eat. Mike wasn’t feeling so well and I didn’t have hours to start cooking a pot of soup so I scurried off the dig into the depths of the pantry. We have a bunch of these “soup in a bag” mixes. You boil some water, throw in the mix and simmer for 15 minutes and boom… soup.
Thats not whats in this bowl…
As he was eating his gourmet soup in a bag.. Mike mentioned he likes it with ham chunks. There were no freeze dried ham chunks in the bag… thankfully.
He knows.. ask and you shall receive… the next day I was off to the butcher for some ham hocks and fresh split peas.
Chunky pea soup with carrots, ham hock, pea tendrils, garlic bread croutons and a carrot tuile.
Best part is, this soup requires little to no work. Most of it is done in the slow cooker and the finishing touches and are so simple.
So lets talk about this bowl… Its a veryyyy rare occasion you see a plate in my kitchen that isn’t black… or gray… or a verrrrry dark gray.
What is this white thing?!
I just so happen to be friends with the owner of our favorite Japanese restaurant. Its my go to lunch order just about every day of the week. Very convenient since it’s right across the street from my salon. My soup was served in this one night and I told him I’m stealing it whether he likes it or not….. My leftover take home bag just so happened to come with a big white bowl in it… He told me not to tell….whoooops. 🙊
If I come to your restaurant and you have cool plates…. maybe check my bag before I leave.. 😏
Pea soup was a success since Mike ate it every day for a whole day and then still wanted more when it was gone. The croutons didn’t make it past day 2… gonna have to quadruple to recipe next time around.
- 2 (16 oz) packages dried split peas, rinsed
- 2 ham hocks
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 ribs of celery plus leaves, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices crusty bread, cubed
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker pour in 6 cups broth. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours, until peas are soft and ham falls off the bone. Remove bones and bay leaves.
- Bring 1 cup of broth to a boil and add second package of peas. Continue to simmer until peas are soft and mushy. Add more stock if needed. Add mushy peas to soup and stir to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Drizzle bead cubes with olive oil and season. Bake until toasted.
- Serve with croutons, pea tendrils and boiled peas.