So if you read my Gordon Ramsay Vegas post, you’ve briefly heard about the missed reservation fiasco. Long story short, Gordon has restaurants all over damn Vegas and we went to the wrong one so they gave our reservation away. Stranded at Caesars with nowhere to eat, we wound at Bobby Flays, Mesa Grill.
Ive briefly mentioned my love hate relationship with Mr Flay in a previous post. Something about him just irks me and I want him to lose every episode of Beat Bobby but lets face it, the man can cook.
So I pouted my way through dinner, wishing I was feasting upon a Gordon Ramsay masterpiece.
I had a corn bisque to start and lamb, surprise surprise, for my entree. My mom asked “why is everything so spicy” about 50 times throughout the night..Welcome to Bobby Flays, would you like a jalapeño with a side of chile?
I was totally expecting some kind of jalapeño infused margarita on the menu, but no such luck… shame on you Bobby.
My favorite part of the Flay experience was when Gianna came out of the bathroom the next morning to let us all know “Bobby Flay made her ass bleed.” She can’t handle the heat.
So the lamb was great but my favorite dish was the pork tenderloin my sister ordered. I was at a loss for what to cook one night so I decided to do my own pork tenderloin a la Bobby Flay.
Boom. Spice rubbed pork tenderloin, bourbon chile sauce and sweet potato puree. Mesa serves this with a sweet potato tamale but I went with roasted mini butternut squashes.
And no ones ass was harmed in the process…
- Pork tenderloin
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1.2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs smoke paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups bourbon
- 3 ancho chiles seeded and pureed
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup reduced apple juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- Heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Mini butternut squash
- Preheat oven to 400F. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, add olive oil.
- Season pork with salt on both sides. Combine all spice rub ingredients. Dredge pork in rub and tap off any excess.
- Sear the pork on both sides until golden brown. Finish cooking in the oven to medium doneness, about 8-10 min, internal temp should be 145F.
- Transfer to cutting board and rest for 5 min before slicing into medallions.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into evenly sized chunks.
- Add to medium saucepan and cover with heavy cream. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add potatoes to a food processor, reserve cooking liquid. Add butter. Blend.
- With the food processor running, slowly stream in reserved hot cream until desired consistency. Season with salt to taste.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add bourbon and cook until completely reduced.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until reduced by half.
- Strain through a sieve and return mixture to pan. Cook to sauce consistency.
- Season with salt to taste.