I’ve never actually ate a duck. My dad would always order it when we went out and I refused to try it.
99% of the tv shows I watch are cooking related and everyones always cooking a damn duck. If everyone’s making this thing, there must be reason. So in the efforts of expanding my horizons and taste buds, I decided I was gonna cook a duck.
Turns out, duck isnt a big commodity on Long Island. I called 7 different butchers and grocery stores and they all thought I was crazy. Wild goose chase? Noppee. Fricken wild duck hunt. The amount of time it took to find the fucking duck, I could’ve cooked it 10 times over.
Never cooked a duck…never ate a duck.. But I know the number 1 rule.. render that damn fat. So I took that and ran with it.. Lexi vs Duck began.
I paired my “magret de canard” with a butternut squash puree, rainbow chard and corn sautee, and a quick pan sauce.
Oh… and my plating?
Ive seen a few dishes around with drippy sauces and I’m like, cmonnn that is so me. Drip nails, drip cupcakes, drip clothes, shoes,, purses, socks… drip butternut squash puree was the only logical thing to do next.
Duck tastes like a cross between a steak and a chicken. Like if someone decided to crossbreed a cow and chicken. Boom. Duck.
Mike never really had duck either except in some turducken thing at Thanksgiving one year. Safe to say he’s now a fan since he ate all of his and half of mine.
Lexi vs Duck. Success.
- 2 Duck Breasts
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 1- 2 tbs heavy cream
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 heads Rainbow Chard
- 2 ears of corn, in husk
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock (unsalted)
- 1 tbs butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Using a sharp knife, score the fat of the duck in a crosshatch pattern. Make sure not to cut through the meat, just the fat.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place duck fat side down a in cold dry cast iron skillet.. Begin rendering the fat by slowly increasing the heat to medium high and cook until skin is golden brown and crispy, about 7-8 min.
- Flip duck and sear the underside and sides.
- Place duck in oven, skin side down, for about 5 min, or until internal temp is about 130.
- Let duck rest skin side down for about 10 min,
- Drain excess fat from the pan. Add onion and saute until soft.
- Add red wine and boil until reduced to about 1/2.
- Add stock and simmer until reduced to 1/2 again.
- Add butter and whisk to combine. Season with a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste.
- Cut squash in half and clean seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake cut side down until fork tender, 45min- 1 hour.
- Scoop out squash and add to food processor and puree. Slowly add oil and cream until desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- Grill or oven roast corn in the husk until tender, 25-30 min.
- Clean corn and cut off cob.
- Quickly blanch rainbow chard in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain chard well.
- In a saute pan, heat 1 tbs olive oil. Add shallots and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chard and corn and saute until leaves are wilted.
- Season with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.