I fucking love Gordon Ramsay. I’ve been binge watching Hells Kitchen for the past few days and all you hear is “risotto risotto risotto.” So, Lexi decided she should make some risotto.
Hells Kitchen has been cranking out lobster risotto… I took one look at them at the grocery store and kept on walking. Do I want to crack open a million lobsters? Nope.
I found these little baby butternut squashes and opted for those instead. I fricken loveee little mini vegetables. Mini squashes.. mini eggplants.. Just mini things in general. I continuously buy mini cast iron skillets, even though I have a shit ton.. I need more. I need every shape and size. I need it.
Obviously the little squashes were too cute to just use the inside… We’re gonna use them as bowls!
Wellll… I put some of it in a bowl..but the squashes were still cuter. I just wasn’t really sure how I wanted to plate it so there was quite a bit of experimenting.
I paired it with some juicy marinated grilled shrimp, parmesan and some sage.
Check out the videoooo to see how I made it.
Butternut squash risotto with shrimp. Done.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, unsalted
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs butter
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 large butternut squash, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes
- 2 mini butternut squash
- 1/3 cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1tsp sage
- garlic powder
- thyme leaves
- Drizzle shrimp with olive oil. Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika. Toss to coat. Refrigerate while making risotto.
- Just before risotto is finished, skewer and grill until pink, about 5-6 min.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut mini squash in half. Drizzle with olive oil, season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake cut side down until for tender, about 25 min. If you can't find mini squash, use half of a large squash.
- Heat a large saute pan, add 1 tbs olive oil. Season squash cubes with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Saute until golden brown. Set aside.
- Simmer stock in a medium sauce pan.
- In the same saute pan, add 1 tbs olive oil, 1.5 tbs butter and onions. Cook until soft.
- Add rice, stir to coat in oil and butter. Cook for 1-2 min.
- Add wine. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock 1 ladle at a time. Cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed between each addition. Continue until there is about 1/2 cup stock left and rice is cooked to al dente, about 20-25 min.
- Remove rice from the heat. Scoop inside of roasted squash and puree. Add 1/2 cup of puree to risotto and stir.
- Add 1.5 tbs butter, 1/3 cup parmesan, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1tsp sage. Mix to combine
- Fold in squash cubes.
- Add the last 1/2 cup of stock right before serving. Top with shrimp, shaved parmesan, and a sprinkle of fresh thyme.