Mike loves steak. If he could eat steak everyday for the rest of his life he probably would. Mike loves blue cheese. He askedme to make steak. Boom. Blue cheese butter filet mignon.
Steak really is so easy to cook, but its also really easy to screw up. As long as you know the basic technique and what the temperature should be, you’re fine. Overcook it and you might as well jsut eat a dry piece of leather, so don’t do that… I paired the steak with some parmesan roasted potatoes and creamed spinach. And topped it with crispy onions because what the hell is a steak without some crispy onions?
The potatoes are super simple, you don’t need to listen to a whole recipe on that. Potato. Cut em. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and throw them in the oven. Bake at 400F for 30-40 min, flipping halfway through to brown both sides. Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese. Boom. Done. Eat em.
I really don’t like creamed spinach… at all. I don’t know if I’ve said this already but I really don’t like creamy mushy things. The whole texture thing just throws me. This creamed spinach, I would actually eat. Like… 1 spoonful and call it a day… but I would still put it in my mouth… so thats saying a lot.
Got a marriage proposal out of this so I guess you can say it was a success. There was no coffin shaped ring though so he can try again at the next steak dinner.
- (4)8oz Filet Mignon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1 stick butter
- canola oil
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 6 tbs flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- For blue cheese butter, add blue cheese and butter to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Scoop onto plastic wrap and roll into a log. Put in fridge to set while you cook steaks.
- Take steaks out of fridge about 30 minutes before cooking.Preheat oven to 325F. Heat cast iron skillet over high heat. Add a few tablespoons of canola oil.
- Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 3-4 minutes to sear steak and create a crust to seal in juices. Add garlic to skillet when searing the second side. If steak is thick cut, sear sides as well.
- Add 2-3 tbs butter to skillet and place in oven to finish cooking, 5-8 minutes depending on desired doneness. Internal temperature should be 130F for rare, 140F for medium rare, 150F for medium, 160F for well done.I cooked mine between medium rare and medium. Remove from oven and let steaks rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Set steaks on bed of creamed spinach, top with a pat of blue cheese butter and crispy onions.Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Strain, pressing with a spoon to squeeze out as much water as possible. Chop and set aside.
- Bring cream to a boil in a saucepan, transfer to a small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium/high heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook on low heat, stir constantly until a light blond roux forms, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a slow stream, whisking constantly, and cook until thick and smooth. Add seasonings and simmer until thickened. Add hot cream, whisking constantly, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add Parmesan cheese and mix until smooth. Add spinach and cook until completely warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust seasonings to your taste if needed.